About Us and Form 990's
United Ways across the country bring diverse people and resources together to address the most urgent issues their communities face. Through unique partnerships and approaches, United Ways mobilize resources beyond the dollars that are pledged through their fund-raising efforts. Community partners often include schools, government policy makers, businesses, organized labor, financial institutions, voluntary and neighborhood associations, community development corporations, and the faith community.
A Snapshot of Resources Raised for 2004-2005
United Way’s mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities. More than 1,350 local United Ways raise and invest significant resources to build strong, healthy communities. In 2004-05, the United Way system raised $3.86 billion in current year support (an increase of 0.7% over 2003-2004), making it the nation’s single largest private charity.Mission & Vision
To improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities. We will build a stronger America by mobilizing our communities to improve people’s lives.
To do this we will:
- Energize and inspire people to make a difference
- Craft human care agendas within and across our communities
- Build coalitions around these agendas
- Increase investments in these agendas by expanding and diversifying our own development efforts and supporting those of others
- Measure, communicate, and learn from the impact of our efforts
- Reflect the diversity of the communities we serve